6 things doctors can do to improve visits for their Deaf and Hard of Hearing patients.
1. Learn sign language
2. Look at us when you talk (not a chart or computer, us)
3. Give us directions before you do something (make sure we understand what’s going on before you do anything)
4. Don’t assume we are all the same (different backgrounds, means of communicating, communication preferences)
5. Review your instructions for further treatment with us and write it down
6. Learn about our culture.(ex. Don’t call us “Hearing Impaired!”)
Hope this helps you all out a bit! Feel free to ask questions and share experiences in the comment section!
SG Mission: to serve our viewers by providing reliable, valuable, and important Deaf community oriented information in every newcast.