Fun History! North Dakota School for the Deaf! Deaf Awareness Week!

0 0
Read Time:1 Minute, 22 Second
North Dakota School for the Deaf history

• First classes: Sept. 10, 1890, in an old wooden store building donated by city by Devils Lake at Third Avenue and Fifth Street. The school moved in 1893 to an 18-acre site, donated by Great Northern Railway.

• First superintendent: Anton Spear, a deaf former postal worker from Minneapolis. He served until 1895. His wife served as matron of the school.

• First student: Mabel Newton, 10, daughter of W.G. and Martha Newton of Mapleton, N.D. Enrollment reached 23 by end of the first school year.

• First graduating class: Lorents Larson of rural Grand Forks County, Effie Smith of Portland, N.D., and Leister Williams, Forest River, N.D., June 11, 1900.

• Largest enrollment: 140 students in 1937-38.

• Mission expands: In 2009, the North Dakota Legislature authorizes school to provide outreach services throughout the state.

• Name change: In 2012, the school’s name was expanded to reflect its growing outreach programs. It now is North Dakota School for the Deaf/Resource Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

First classes: Sept. 10, 1890, in an old wooden store building donated by the city of Devils Lake at Third Avenue and Fifth Street. The school moved in 1893 to an 18-acre site, donated by Great Northern Railway.
North Dakota School for the Deaf history
Jamestown Sun
North Dakota School for the Deaf history. First classes: Sept. 10, 1890, in an old wooden store building donated by the city of Devils Lake at Third Avenue and Fifth Street. The school moved in 1893 to an 18-acre site, donated by Great Northern Railway.
See all stories on this topic »
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %
(Visited 63 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

comments

author

Thomsen Young

Founder of SG