Action Alert – Please contact your representative if they are on the Education Finance Committee and ask them to support funding for Pre-K at the Metro Deaf School. You can find your representative at: http://www.gis.leg.mn/iMaps/districts/. The list of the members of the House Education Finance Committee are below.
• If you do not live in one of their districts, but know people who do, please ask them to write or call. It is important that legislators hear from the people they represent.
• Please send an email or call. Sample emails and talking points below. You can either cut and paste from below, or even better, change it into your own words and add your own story.
• Please also consider submitting a variation of this text as a letter to your local newspaper (Just change the first sentence to say, I encourage Representative ___ (fill in the name of your local legislator) to support…).
• The Pre-K years are critical for language development.
• The Metro Deaf School is the only school in the metro area that provides immersion in ASL.
• Some school districts are refusing to allow parents to choose the Metro Deaf School for Pre-K. They argue that their deaf / hard of hearing instruction is sufficient, even if it includes little or no instruction in ASL.
• We need to ensure that all Pre-K children have access to language. This small appropriation ($69,000) will take us closer to that reality.
• Deaf children should not have to wait until they go to kindergarten, when the law allows their parents to choose the Metro Deaf School, for these kids to learn language.
Subject Line: Constituent Request: Please support funding for Pre-K at the Metro Deaf School
Dear Representative ______________ [fill in last name of Representative]:
Please support funding for Pre-K at the Metro Deaf School which would allow parents of deaf or hard of hearing Pre-K children to choose the learning environment that is right for their child. The Metro Deaf School is a public charter school and is the only school in the metro area that has a center-based preschool instruction in American Sign Language. For deaf children who are visual learners, the best means of acquiring language is through the immersion and direct modeling that this program provides.
Deaf children should not have to wait until they go to kindergarten, when Parent Choice kicks in, to acquire the language skills they will need. $69,000 is a small amount for the state to give these children access to language.
Please support including the funding for Pre-K at the Metro Deaf School in the Omnibus Education Finance Bill.
Your Name Here
Your Address Here
House Education Finance Committee Members:
Jennifer Loon (48B – Eden Prairie) firstname.lastname@example.org 651-296-7449
Ron Kresha (9B – Little Falls) email@example.com 651-296-4247
Mary Murphy (3B – Hermantown) firstname.lastname@example.org 651-296-2676
Paul Anderson (12B – Starbuck) email@example.com 651-296-4317
Tom Anzelc (5B – Balsam Township) firstname.lastname@example.org 651-296-4936
Peggy Bennett (27A – Albert Lea) email@example.com 651-296-8216
Drew Christensen (56A – Burnsville) firstname.lastname@example.org 651-296-4212
Jim Davnie (63A – Minneapolis) email@example.com 651-296-0173
Bob Dettmer (39A – Forest Lake) firstname.lastname@example.org 651-296-4124
Sondra Erickson (15A – Princeton) email@example.com 651-296-6746
Kelly Fenton (53B – Woodbury) firstname.lastname@example.org 651-296-1147
Jerry Hertaus (33A – Greenfield) email@example.com 651-296-9188
Carlos Mariani (65B – Saint Paul) firstname.lastname@example.org 651-296-9714
Paul Marquart (4B – Dilworth) email@example.com 651-296-6829
Joe Mullery (59A – Minneapolis) firstname.lastname@example.org 651-296-4262
Jerry Newton (37A – Coon Rapids) email@example.com 651-296-5369
Bud Nornes (8A – Fergus Falls) firstname.lastname@example.org 651-296-4946
Roz Peterson (56B – Lakeville) email@example.com 651-296-5387
Duane Quam (25A – Byron) firstname.lastname@example.org 651-296-9236
Yvonne Selcer (48A – Minnetonka) email@example.com 651-296-3964
Linda Slocum (50A – Richfield) firstname.lastname@example.org 651-296-7158
Anna Wills (57B – Rosemount) email@example.com 651-296-4306
SG Mission: to serve our viewers by providing reliable, valuable, and important Deaf community oriented information in every newcast.