Learn about what you can do when your DMV denies you communication access in states outside of California. How to file an ADA complaint with the Department of Justice:
Online: www.ada.gov/complaint
Mail: US Department of Justice, 950 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section – 1425 NYAV, Washington, D.C. 20530
Fax: (202) 307-1197
Phone: 1-800-514-0301 (VOICE) or 1-800-514-0383 (TTY)

Full transcript below:
—- DMV Rights —-
Do you remember the video we posted July 28th?
We informed you of your DMV rights.
Thank you for watching and sharing the video
“Knowing Your Rights, DMV Testing”
That recent video was actually
meant only for people that live in California.
We heard from many of you across the country
that you have the same issues in your state.
The Americans with Disabilities Act,
called the ADA,
is a federal law.
Your state must follow federal law.
Federal law says your DMV must have
communication access for Deaf people.
Communication access may mean providing
interpreting, captioning,
notetaking, visual alerts, etc.
—- ADA Disability Accommodation —-
You can go to the website for your state DMV
and search for “ADA disability accommodation”
to find out what accommodations
your state DMV provides.
Some states have information easy to find;
some states have information harder to find.
—- Discrimination —-
If you see or experience discrimination
what can you do?
1) Search on your state DMV’s website
“ADA discrimination complaint”
to learn how to file a complaint.
Again, for some states that information
will be hard to find,
for other DMVs it will be easier.
2) File a complaint with the
United States Department of Justice
about your state DMV.
There are 4 ways to do this:
1. File a complaint online.
2. File a complaint by mail.
3. File a complaint by fax.
(202) 307-1197
4. For help filing a complaint
contact the DOJ ADA Information Line at
1-800-514-0301 (VOICE) or 1-800-514-0383 (TTY)
to schedule an appointment.
For more assistance
check with your local Deaf service organization,
or your state association for the Deaf,
or a disability rights organization
such as Independent Living Center.
We encourage you to file complaints.
Filing complaints can lead to making
improvements on all systems.

(Visited 14 times, 1 visits today)



SG Mission: to serve our viewers by providing reliable, valuable, and important Deaf community oriented information in every newcast.