Holiday Season Awareness & Prevention Tips Series | December 18, 2020
[VIDEO DESC: Alise is wearing an off white sweater and a pair of hoop earrings. Behind her is a blue background.]
Holiday Season Awareness & Prevention Tips | December 18, 2020
During the holiday season and along with the pandemic crisis happening, it is extremely important to follow all safety measures when shopping. This includes wearing a mask at all times and practicing proper hand washing and social distancing rules to limit your chances of contracting COVID or any other transmittable diseases.
Most important, do not walk and text or use your smartphone at the same time as smartphone thefts are on the rise.
[Slide shows content: Tips For Shoppers]
While in store:
• Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.
• Do not carry more cash or valuables than is necessary. Be discreet so that you do not attract attention.
• Take extra precautions with your wallet or purse. Carry your purse with the opening flap next to your body and with the strap hung over your shoulder.
• Tell a security guard or store employee if you see an unattended bag or package.
Walking to and from your vehicle:
• It gets dark early this time of year, so be sure to factor this into your shopping plans.
• Always lock your car doors and make sure all windows are shut.
• Remember where you park. Some smartphones have the feature to mark GPS on the map.
• Never hide spare keys in or on your car. These hiding places are easily discovered. If you need spare keys, keep them in your wallet or purse.
Be alert to suspicious persons or circumstances.
• Avoid parking where you see someone sitting in their vehicle for no apparent reason.
• When walking in any parking lot, grocery store, airport, shopping center, etc., walk confidently with your head up, make eye contact, and have your keys ready.
Arriving and leaving retail stores/malls:
• Do not drive across parking stalls. Use appropriate marked driving lanes and obey all traffic signs.
• Report all suspicious activity store manager, security or police.
• Do not leave your valuables in the car where people can see (i.e. packages, purses, mobile phones, CDs, etc.). Place them in the trunk or take them with you.
• Be alert while using mass transit as you walk/ride to and from stores.
Remember, parking lots will be more crowded so be patient. Drive courteously.
• Remember checkout lanes will be busier and lines will be longer, so be patient.
• Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable or unsafe in a situation, report it to store/mall security immediately.
[Screen fades to show DCARA logo and following content: Contact Information: 510-343-6670 VP/Voice | email@example.com | dcara.org. Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram @dcara1962]
SG Mission: to serve our viewers by providing reliable, valuable, and important Deaf community oriented information in every newcast.